It’s the 1st of December and that means that the countdown to Christmas is on! If you need to bring a dessert to a festive event this month then these cupcakes are the perfect option.
The cupcakes are moist and delicious with a bright red centre and the white chocolate icing pairs with them perfectly. I love the simple Santa decorations to top them but you can decorate them however you like. Why not get the family involved and get creative with your Christmas Cupcakes!
This recipe makes 12 cupcakes but it can easily be doubled to make 24. If you prefer you can also use this batter to make a full size cake. You will just need to line and grease two 7 inch round baking pans. You may also need to add an extra 5 minutes on to the baking time.
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the cupcakes:
▪️215g plain flour
▪️85g unsalted butter, room temperature
▪️125g caster sugar
▪️2 small eggs room temperature
▪️red food colouring, depends on brand I use a Wilton Gel one
▪️1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
▪️1 tsp vanilla extract
▪️1/2 tsp salt
▪️1 tsp white vinegar
▪️1 tsp baking powder
For the icing:
▪️350g icing sugar
▪️1 tbsp milk
▪️1/2 tsp vanilla extract
▪️75g white chocolate (melted)
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line your cupcake tin with cases.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Add in the eggs one at a time, fully combining after each addition.
- Next, in one bowl add the flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. In a jug add the buttermilk, food colouring, vinegar and vanilla extract.
- In stages add in the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture, alternating between the two.
- Add the batter to your cases, I usually use an ice cream scoop so they are even but if you don’t have one aim for 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 16-18 minutes. Once they spring back, remove from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream beat the butter until very soft. Add in the icing sugar in stages. If you do it all at once it will go everywhere! Next add in the melted white chocolate and beat in. Add in the milk and vanilla extract and mix again.
- Decorate as you like and enjoy!