I was in Sainsbury’s and saw their Apple and Salted Caramel Mincemeat and I knew I had to do something with it. This crumble is easy to make and can be prepared in advance.
It’s full of bramley apples, plump raisins and a delicious apple and salted caramel mincemeat. I haven’t added any extra sugar as the mincemeat makes it sweet enough. For the topping I have used a traditional buttery sweet crumble made from butter, flour and sugar.
This mincemeat is suitable for vegans and the crumble could easily be made vegan. Just use a vegan spread to replace the butter in the recipe but make sure that it has been left in the fridge before use. The colder the better as this will make it much easier for you to rub into the flour.
The crumble will keep in the fridge for at least a few days after baking, though there probably won’t be any left over! You can either reheat in the microwave or to re crisp the topping reheat in the oven at 160°C for 10 minutes.
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the filling:
▪️500g bramley apples, peeled and sliced
▪️6 tbsp apple and salted caramel mincemeat
▪️1 tsp cinnamon
▪️3 tbsp raisins
For the crumble topping
▪️170g plain flour
▪️70g golden caster sugar
👩🍳 Method 👩🍳
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and have your baking dish ready. I used a 10 inch oval dish.
- In a bowl add your peeled and sliced apples, raisins, cinnamon and the mincemeat. Mix together so evenly distributed, I find this is best done with hands but if you prefer to use a spoon go for it!
- Add the apple mixture to your baking dish and set aside.
- To make the crumble topping, add the flour and butter to a bowl and rub with your fingers until it resembles breadcrumbs. A few larger pieces are fine as this will make your topping extra crunchy.
- Stir through the sugar and then sprinkle the topping over the filling. Lightly pat down the crumble topping so that it fills any gaps.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, place a tray underneath incase any of the juices bubble over. If you have prepared this in advance, now is the time to cover it and place it in the fridge for later.
- Leave to cool for 5 minus before serving.