An adult friendly way to use up any leftover gingerbread biscuits, these rum balls are delicious.
They are the perfect after dinner treat or can be added to a hamper as a gift. If you are displaying these at a gathering then the petit four cases are brilliant but if you can’t find them, they look just as good placed on a plate!
If you don’t have any leftover gingerbread biscuits to use you can just buy ginger snaps! You can remove the icing and sprinkles if you want to but there’s no need to as these will just get blended in to the rum balls.
I used Kraken Rum to make these rum balls but you can use your preferred rum. There’s no need to use rum if you don’t like it, these would work with any spirit. You can even split the dry mix in half and add a different spirit to each batch.
Get creative with your decorations, use a variety of sprinkles or drizzle over white chocolate.
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
▪️480g gingerbread biscuits
▪️60g icing sugar
▪️1/2 tsp cinnamon
▪️1/2 tsp ginger
▪️1/4 tsp clove
▪️1/4 tsp nutmeg
▪️1/4 cup of rum
▪️200g dark chocolate
▪️1 tbsp coconut oil
👩🍳 Method 👩🍳
1. Blend the biscuits in a food processor until they resemble a fine crumb and place in a mixing bowl.
2. Place the walnuts into a food processor and blitz into small chunks, add this to the biscuit crumbs.
3. To the mixing bowl, add the spices and icing sugar and mix to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, mash the banana until smooth and add in the rum.
5. Put the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and fold together.
6. Roll the mix into balls and lay on a sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Flash freeze the balls for 15-20 minutes.
7. While they cool, put a pan of water over the heat and bring to a boil. Place a bowl on top and add the chocolate and coconut oil, stir until the chocolate has melted.
8. Dip the rum balls in the melted chocolate and leave on a greaseproof lined sheet to set. If you want to decorate with sprinkles, remember to add before the chocolate sets completely.