These dough balls are delicious and the perfect evening snack to share with your loved ones at home.
We may not be able to go out and enjoy a meal at Pizza Express with the current situation but you can bring a piece of Pizza Express to your home!
You need just 6 ingredients and minimal effort to create these doughy balls of goodness. The dough will need to rest for around 3-4 hours, so get started ahead of time.
TOP TIP: If it’s not a warm day and you don’t have a warm spot to leave your dough to rise, turn on the tumble dryer for a few minutes and then store it in there. Just make sure everyone else in the house knows that it is in there 🤣
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the dough balls
▪️2 cups of plain flour
▪️1 cup of warm water
▪️1 tsp dried yeast
▪️3/4 tsp salt
For the garlic butter:
▪️100g salted butter
▪️2 cloves of garlic, minced
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- In a jug add the warm water and stir in the dried yeast. Leave this to sit for 2 minutes on the side.
- In a bowl add the flour and the salt, mix well and make a well in the middle.
- Add the water yeast mixture and using a knife, mix until almost combined. (You can use your hands but this saves them getting super sticky as the dough scrapes off a knife much easier than your hands)
- Flour your surface and tip out the dough. Knead the dough for 3-4 minutes, just until it comes together and you can form a smooth ball.
- In a clean oiled bowl leave the dough to rise for 3-4 hours.
- While the dough rises make the garlic butter. It is very simple, just add the minced garlic to the salted butter and warm over a low heat to infuse for around 6-8 minutes. You do not want to boil it, so keep the heat low. If you have any fresh herbs you can add them here! We are all out at the moment. Pour into a ramekin and set in the fridge for later.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Flour your surface again and tip out the dough. You now need to cut your dough into dough ball size pieces. I formed mine into a rough rectangle and cut into 4 long slices. I then portioned from there.
- Once cut into pieces roll the dough into balls.
- Flour the surface of a large oven pro pan that has a lid. Add the dough balls to the pan, they need to be close together as you want them to form into one large tear and share as they rise in the oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes with the lid on and then remove the lid for the final 12-15 minutes. You want them to be golden all over.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the dish for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with the garlic butter and enjoy!