This sweet and sour Lemon Drizzle cake is the perfect treat to enjoy with a hot cup of tea. The recipe is very simple and the end cake is delicious.
I have been making lemon drizzle cakes for what feels like forever and up until today I have always used my tried and trusted recipe. I decided to try something a little different and blitzed the lemon peel with the sugar. I do think it intensified the flavour and it made the kitchen smell wonderful!
If you don’t have anything to blend your lemon and sugar together with, you can just grate the zest with a fine grater. It’s worked well for me so far!
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the cake:
▪️175g caster sugar
▪️3 medium eggs
▪️175g plain flour
▪️1 tsp baking powder
▪️Peel of two lemons, try and avoid the pith
For the icing:
▪️85g granulated sugar
▪️Juice of two lemons
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 2lb loaf tin with greaseproof paper.
- In a food processor or whatever you have at home, blitz your sugar and lemon peel together until completely combined and your sugar is yellow.
- In a bowl whisk together the butter and lemon sugar until pale and creamy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and whisk until light and airy.
- Next add in the flour and baking powder and fold through.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for around 30 minutes, until it springs back when pressed and a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Mix together the granulated sugar and lemon juice and spoon over the cake whilst still warm.
- Resist the cake and let it cool in the tin if you can so the sugar coating cools on the top and goes crispy. Enjoy!