Sometimes you need something quick, easy and tasty and these apple pies certainly tick all of those boxes. I do cheat slightly by using a shop brought pastry for this recipe when I do not have time to make it myself and to be honest, they still taste just as good!
My grandad came to visit this weekend and with him my mum sent down some wonderful apples and pears! They did vary in size quite a bit so I used 12, if you were buying from a shop with a standard uniform size, you could probably get away with using 8!
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
▪️2 x packs of shortcrust pastry
▪️12 x apples
▪️1 tsp cinnamon
▪️1/2 tsp ground cloves
▪️3 tbsp granulated sugar (this will vary depending on how sweet you like it)
▪️1 x egg
▪️Cinnamon Sugar to top (2tbsp sugar mixed with 1/2 tsp cinnamon)
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- Roll out your pastry to 5mm thick and cut out 12 circles. I use a standard size 12-hole cupcake tray to bake these and use a a 3 inch round cookie cutter to cut out the bases.
- Place the cut out pastry circles in to each of the 12 holes. Use the tips of your fingers to press the pastry down. If you get an air bubble underneath, pull one side of the pastry away from the tin and then press it back. Once these are done put them in the fridge to chill.
- While the pastry bases chill, peel, core and slice your apples. Add them to a bowl with the cinnamon, ground cloves and sugar and mix well. Set this aside.
- Put the oven on to 180°C. Roll out the second pack of pastry the same as you did with the first. Cut out 12 circles again but this time use a 2 1/2 inch cookie cutter. Remove the excess pastry.
- To make the decoration, I used the ends of piping tips but you can use anything you have that creates a smaller circle or any shape! Let your creativity flow and design however you like! Put these in the fridge to chill and remove the bases.
- Fill the bases with the sliced apples, fitting in as much as you can (the apples will shrink!). Place each of the pastry circles on top of the pies and lightly press down on the edges.
- Beat the egg and add a tablespoon of water. Using a pastry brush, glaze the top of the pies lightly. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. 5 minutes before the end sprinkle over the cinnamon sugar and add back in for the remaining time.