Autumn is definitely upon us and I think this is my favourite time of year. The warmer jumpers have already come out and summer evenings spent outside in the sun are replaced by nights in front of the fire with a good book.
This Pear and Ginger Crumble loaf is delicious, its the best combination of cake and crumble. The pear and ginger go so well together, if you prefer can switch out the pears for apples. I have tried both ways and they are both delicious but my favourite is the pear. If you use apples, try adding in 1tsp of cinnamon . . . It is so good and adds to the wonderful autumn vibe!
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the cake:
▪️150g Unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
▪️225g plain flour, plus extra to dust
▪️200g pears, peeled and chopped
▪️30g chrystalized ginger
▪️200g caster sugar
▪️3 medium eggs
▪️2 tsp. vanilla extract
For the crumble:
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until pale.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time and make sure to combine fully before adding the next one. If the mixture looks like it has split at all, add in one tablespoon of flour. This should help you bring it back together.
- Next fold through the flour until you have a smooth cake batter. Add in the vanilla extract and mix.
- Fold through the chopped pears and ginger.
- Place the cake batter into your loaf tin, if using an older tin or tin without a non stick coating, remember to grease and line it.
- To make the crumble topping, rub together the butter and flour until a crumb forms. Stir through the sugar and add the crumble topping to the top of the cake
- Bake in the oven for around 45 minutes-1 hour, a skewer inserted should come out clean.