On request of some very special guests I have made these carrot cupcakes and they are so yummy. I haven’t made carrot cake in a while but its one of those comforting flavours that never disappoints. They are soft and fluffy and although they have carrot in them they are still light.
The icing is a brown sugar and cream cheese frosting, one of my favourite combinations. If you haven’t tried it yet, you should! It’s very versatile and I use it with lots of other cupcakes, like banana and chocolate or my red velvet cupcakes.
I have had quite a few requests for a cupcake recipe that yields fewer cupcakes so thought I would start here. I have scaled down my usual recipe quite a lot and this makes 6 good size cupcakes. I use the cupcake cups from Iced Jems Shop as they are so convenient and can be used with a normal baking tray.
The cake recipe is in cup measurements to make it easier as its such a small batch but if you would like the measurements in grams let me know!
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the cupcakes:
▪️1 large egg
▪️1/2 cup grated carrot
▪️1 cup self-raising flour
▪️1/3 cup brown sugar – I use light brown soft sugar
▪️1/2 vegetable oil
▪️1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
▪️1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
▪️1/4 tsp ground mixed spice
▪️1/3 cup raisins (pre soaked in water for 30 minutes)
▪️1/4 cup pecan nuts chopped
For the icing:
▪️75g full fat cream cheese
▪️1 1/2 cup icing sugar
▪️1/2 cup light brown soft sugar
▪️1 tsp vanilla
👩🍳 Method 👨🍳
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- In one bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. In another bowl combine the egg, oil and brown sugar.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Fold in the grated carrot and the raisins, then fold in the pecans.
- Divide evenly between your cupcake cases and bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- To make the icing, first cream together the butter and the cream cheese.
- Add in the brown sugar and mix through.
- Next, add in the icing sugar in stages. This prevents it from spreading all over your kitchen.
- Add in the vanilla and stir through.
- Decorate the cupcakes as you like and enjoy!