It’s been grey and rainy here today and I really felt like a hot chocolate. What’s better than a hot chocolate? Hot Chocolate Cupcakes! They are super chocolatey and the marshmallow icing is delicious!
The recipe is my standard chocolate cupcake recipe with a marshmallow buttercream frosting! They’re perfect for this colder season and make 12 cupcakes!
For the cupcakes:
▪️175g caster sugar
▪️125g self raising flour
▪️1 tsp baking powder
▪️40g cocoa powder
▪️2 tsp vanilla extract
For the icing:
▪️60g unsalted butter
▪️30g cocoa powder
▪️250g icing sugar
▪️100g mini marshmallows
▪️2 tbsp milk
▪️1 tsp vanilla extract
👩🍳 Method 👩🍳
1. Preheat the oven 180°C. Prepare your cupcake cases on a tray.
2. In a bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until pale.
3. Add in one egg at a time and make sure you mix until it is fully combined before adding the next one. Then mix in the vanilla extract.
4. Next, sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and fold through until completely mixed in.
5. Scoop the cake batter into your prepared cases and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Remove from the oven and leave too cool on a wire rack.
7. To make the icing, beat the butter and vanilla in a bowl until it is pale.
8. In a bowl microwave the marshmallows until they are soft, do this in 15 second stages so that you do not burn them.
9. Add the icing sugar to the butter in stages. Whisk in each addition fully.
10. Once you have added all of the icing sugar, whisk in the melted marshmallow. Then use the milk to achieve your desired consistency, you may not need all of the milk.
11. Pipe the buttercream onto your cupcakes and top with more mini marshmallows, chocolate chips and a sprinkling of cocoa powder!