Is there anything more comforting at this time of year than gingerbread? I had my first Gingerbread Latte of the year the other day and I instantly knew I had to make these cupcakes again.
These Gingerbread Latte Cupcakes are everyones favourite festive drink in cupcake form! They are flavoured with all the best spices and the added coffee is delicious, even if you aren’t usually a fan! If you have it available use a freshly brewed coffee over an instant one as it gives the cakes a better flavour. The perfect excuse to make yourself an actual gingerbread latte to enjoy whilst you make the cupcakes!
The brown sugar icing is the best and lends itself well to pretty much any flavour combo. I tried adding extra cinnamon with this batch and can confirm it well and truly works. It’s the perfect way to finish off a festive cake.
🛒 Ingredients 🛒
For the cupcakes:
▪️175g brown sugar
▪️175g plain flour
▪️1 tsp baking powder
▪️2 tsp ground ginger
▪️3/4 tsp cinnamon
▪️1/4 tsp nutmeg
▪️1/4 tsp ground clove
▪️3 tbsp strong coffee
For the icing:
▪️300g icing sugar
▪️1 tsp cinnamon
▪️75g brown sugar (light or dark)
▪️1 tbsp molasses
▪️1 tbsp milk
▪️1/2 tsp vanilla extract
👩🍳 Method 👩🍳
- Preheat the oven 180°C. Prepare your cupcake cases on a tray.
- In a bowl cream together the butter and the sugar until pale.
- Add in one egg at a time and make sure you mix until it is fully combined before adding the next one. Then mix in the coffee.
- Next, sift in the flour, baking powder and spices and fold through until completely mixed in.
- Scoop the cake batter into your prepared cases and bake in the oven for 15 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and leave too cool on a wire rack.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, molasses and vanilla in a bowl until it is pale.
- Sift together the icing sugar and the cinnamon.
- Add in the sifted icing sugar and cinnamon mixture in stages and stir well between each addition. Next add the brown sugar and mix until fully combined.
- Use the milk as necessary to get the consistency you prefer for piping.
- Pipe the icing on the cupcakes and top with a mini gingerbread man or your choice of topping!